Hi Sam,

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 19:06:08 -0400
Sam Varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com> wrote:

> Hanno Böck writes:
>
> > So the correct way should be another test for root, e.g.
> > test `id -u` != 0
> >
> > I've prepared a patch.
> > This is for both Makefile.in and Makefile.am to avoid the need for
> > autotools, however the first one gets generated automatically, only
> > the second one probably needs to be applied to courier.
> > Please note however that this fixes the issue ONLY for
> > module.esmtp, although it seems to be
> > prevalent all over the couriere Makefile.am files. I wanted first to
> > discuss if this is the correct approach to fix it. If you're okay
> > with that, I'll send you further patches for the others.
>
> Although the intent seems to be ok, the patch itself does not really
> work.

Can you be more specific? At my local tests, it worked.
What's the issue with it? What do you think the best approach to check
for root would be?

> Also, if you're preparing an automated package build, this isn't
> really needed. Running 'make install-perms' from the top level
> directory produces a very nicely-formatted file, permissions.dat,
> that lists all the files that get installed, and what their
> permissions should be. You should use that to prepare your package.

This seems to me like a workaround rather than a fix. Better than
nothing, but still, I'd rather like see the makefile to check for root
in a more correct way.

--
Hanno Böck              mail/jabber: ha...@hboeck.de
GPG: BBB51E42           http://www.hboeck.de/