Bernd Prünster writes:

Sam Varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com> wrote:

>Let me guess: you're trying to bounce something from a locally-executed
>mail
>delivery script, after a message is accepted for delivery.
Actually the scenario is rather simple: John Doe sends me an email (from his Gmail account) using his locally installed MUA and ticks "delivery status notification". No fancy automated processing is done at my end when receiving his email that has DSN request set -- maildrop simply puts the message into my inbox.

>You should Google "backscatter bounce bomb".
Interesting, thanks.

>Courier discards bounces to external addresses of mail received from
>external addresses, in order to prevent you from being blacklisted due
>being used as a proxy mailbomb source.
I don't fully get it. How do others (Gmail, Outlook, my university's mta) handle this? They do issue DSNs when requested.

They typically don't handle it, until someone uses them as a mailbomb proxy source, they get blacklisted, and then they'll figure out what they want to do.