Bernd Prünster writes:

On 21/08/13 12:52, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> They typically don't handle it, until someone uses them as a mailbomb
> proxy source, they get blacklisted, and then they'll figure out what
> they want to do.
So basically it is by design that Courier does not issue DSNs to
external email addresses? Can I configure courier to use SPF and decide
based on that if a DSN request should be honoured?

You can try removing the ESMTP_BLOCKBACKSCATTER setting from the
courierd configuration file.

Used to be, by default, that DSNs were delivered. Times have changed.

My university for example is blacklisted on a regular basis because of
successful phishing attacks that lead to abusing the mail gate for
spamming. They do however issue DSNs when requested so it does not seem
to be a problem for them. Now that I think of it, I cant remember that
my DSN request was ever ignored.

Just being curious here...

It's not a very well known attack vector. But it does exist, and for the few victims, it's not fun.