Thank you very much!

As Bernd Wurst commented I also needed to have the entire PEM file + the
contents of the dhparams file I had generated in one file for it to work
as TLS_DHCERTFILE, otherwise it won't work with the error message
"error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line_".

I would like to add however that in addition so setting this option in
esmpd-ssl you also need to set the same option in esmtpd!
Otherwise you will have the DHE ciphers on SMTP-over-SSL port 465, but
NOT with STARTTLS on port 25 !

Thanks again,
Gerald

PS:
It's really great to have a lot of knobs. But most users will never
notice all the knobs, therefore - if possible - security settings should
provide the best security by default.
[ at least from the perspective of a non-US-citizen, your opinion on
this may vary if you belong to the country who does the spying instead
of living in the country being spied on :-) ]