On Sun 25/May/2014 02:55:45 +0200 Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Lindsay Haisley writes:

>>> Reply-Tos should go back to the mailing list, not the sender.
>>
>> This isn't an appropriate choice for most lists, which are
>> configured for reply-to-sender.  Munging the Reply-To header for
>> this purpose is a broken way of dealing with the problem.
>
> I hear that often; but it does not add up for me. The whole purpose
> of a discussion-oriented mailing list is to hold public discussions
> on various topics; and I'd expect the replies to go back to the
> list too.

Nowadays most client have a distinguished reply-to-list button.
Reply-To could be left to authors for messages that are slightly
off-topic, or cross-posted, so as to direct replies appropriately.

>>> In the .courier-list file you could put something that adds or
>>> replaces the Reply-To: header. Then, use the headerdel and
>>> headeradd configuration settings, as documented in the
>>> couriermlm man page, to remove the existing From: header, and
>>> replace it with a new one.
>>>
>>> But, after doing that, you'll probably discover that it doesn't
>>> work, for some reason, or something else is broken.
>>
>> Sam, would you please disambiguate this.  What else would break?
>> Why would it not work.
>
> Anyone's guess. SPF and Dmarc are hacks. And I say that even though
> I use SPF. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that someone's also
> checking the Reply-To addresses, so those will bounce too.

That would be a really freaky behavior, inconsistent with both DMARC
and SMTP.

An alternative solution is to replace: