On Sun 25/May/2014 23:51:46 +0200 Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-05-25 at 11:24 +0200, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>
>> An alternative solution is to replace:
>>
>>    From: John Doe <j...@yahoo.com>
>>
>> with:
>>
>>    From: List <l...@example.com>, John Doe <j...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
>
> The Mailman list server has the capability of replacing the From header
> address with an address of the form "Username -- via Listname
> <l...@example.com>" and doing this _only_ for From addresses which
> publish DMARC p=reject.  Putting a full email address in the address
> comment can be problematic.

Those were meant to be two addresses, but yes, comments are good too,
spammers do that all the time:

   From: "John Doe <j...@yahoo.com>" <l...@example.com>

It shouldn't be difficult to add a script that does something like
that to couriermlm files.

> [...]
> If an ESP honors a DMARC p=reject policy then an email which fails DMARC
> alignment is bounced as if the recipient address is invalid.  This is
> based on the published _author_ of the email (not the _sender_!).  Any
> workaround for this other than MIME encapsulation involves munging
> header information, hence information loss.

Yeah.  I don't know whether the path of least resistance will lead to
watering down DMARC, change mailing lists behavior, or both.  An
"intelligent" path is not going to come for free.  Those above were
meant to be temporary solutions, but are probably going to stay around
until the problem persists.  Let me replay your footer.

Ale
--
"Never expect the people who caused a problem to solve it."
                                         - Albert Einstein