Sam Varshavchik writes:

> SZÉPE Viktor writes:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Could you help me where is the syntax error in this address?
>>
>> Jun  6 21:39:09 szerver4 courieresmtpd:
>> error,relay=::ffff:195.228.245.161,from=<optimail-%9566%-
>> %22342...@optimail.hu>: 517 Syntax
>> error.
>>
>> AFAIK this is a very high volume newsletter.
>
> Unfortunately, this "high volume newsletter" violates RFC 2822 with its
> email address.
>
>> From section 3.4.1 of RFC 2822:
>
> addr-spec       =       local-part "@" domain
>
> local-part      =       dot-atom / quoted-string / obs-local-part
>
> In this case, the "dot-atom" form of local-part applies.
>
> Section 3.2.4 spcifies dot-atom as follows:
>
> atext           =       ALPHA / DIGIT / ; Any character except controls,
>                        "!" / "#" /     ;  SP, and specials.
>                        "$" / "%" /     ;  Used for atoms
>                        "&" / "'" /
>                        "*" / "+" /
>                        "-" / "/" /
>                        "=" / "?" /
>                        "^" / "_" /
>                        "`" / "{" /
>                        "|" / "}" /
>                        "~"
>
> atom            =       [CFWS] 1*atext [CFWS]
>
> dot-atom        =       [CFWS] dot-atom-text [CFWS]
>
> dot-atom-text   =       1*atext *("." 1*atext)
>
> In other words, the "%" character is a prohibited character in email
> addresses.

Hmm, AFAICS "%" explicitly indicated in 3.2.4 as _allowed_ character. I
couldn't find in recent logs incoming mail with "%" in address, but this
log line proves that courier outgoing smtp module considers such address as
valid:
courieresmtp: id=1A5BA195.0000000056F2911C.
00003204,from=<eve...@pcweek.ru>,addr=<r.voron...@gs1ru.org>: 250 Requested
mail action okay, completed

--
Alexei.