On Wed 08/Jun/2016 00:04:26 +0200 Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> SZÉPE Viktor writes:
>> Idézem/Quoting Sam Varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com>:

>>> I read this, initially, as excluding the listed characters, focusing
>>> on the "except controls, SP, and specials" comment, interpreting
>>> "specials" as referencing the given list. But on another read, I
>>> must admit that those characters are allowed.
>>>
>>> The actual error here is that % appears next to @, tripping the
>>> check that special characters may not be consecutive. There are
>>> reasons for that; namely historic, legacy, address rewriting rules
>>> (the makepercenthack man page has the details). Don't see any reason
>>> not to get rid of them, but this won't be a quick fix.

Of course, standards try to be as permissive as possible.  Sometimes overly
permissive...

>>> Generally, using special characters, like that, in email addresses
>>> is not a very good idea.

To paraphrase rfc5321, "While the above definition for Local-part is relatively
permissive, for maximum interoperability, a host that expects to receive mail
SHOULD avoid defining mailboxes where the Local-part" lays on the borderline of
specifications.

>> Could you develop an option for Courier that enables "$" and "%" in
>> email addresses?
>> Of course default=disabled.
>
> I am consider either removing all processing related to % characters, or
> removing the check for consecutive special characters, which is the issue
> here.

Sam, if you are going to revise that part, please consider SMTPUTF8.  AIUI,
once character handling is good, the implementation boils down to setting the
right keywords in EHLO response, MAIL command, and WITH protocol type in
Received:.

Character handling is the hard part.

"%" used to be related to percent-hack, which seems to be pretty useless
nowadays.  Clients du jour, however, do anything with UTF-8.  Thunderbird, for
example, complains about non-ASCII characters in recipients local parts, but
allows bald U-Labels in their domains.  (in that case, Courier writes A-Labels
in Delivered-To: and Received:, but leaves To: intact, so DKIM works fine.)

BTW, we all have and "charset=utf-8" in our settings, don't we?

Ale