On 01/20/2017 04:22 AM, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> All the users where created on <storage00> as "normal"  UNIX  users  and
> there login name is also there email address.  So, now you can  imagine,
> that this give problems if <mail> is responsable for different  domains,
> where maybe two users have the same names...
>
> So my idea is, to use a script an rename all UNIX users

I assume you mean that their login name is the left-hand-side of their
email address.  Is that right?

If your users are currently logging in with the username only, not the
domain, then regardless of how you store usernames in the password
files, you would need to change all of the clients if you want a
consistent work-around to the basic problem of having a different
"user1" in "example1.com" than in "example2.com".

Alternatively, you could leave your existing systems unchanged, and
engineer a new process for future domains.  If you have "user1" in
"example1.com" now and want to set up a separate user to receive "user1"
in "example2.com", you could create a user named "user1-example2.com"
and an alias that directs "us...@example.com" to that address.  You'd
lose the ability to use .courier files within those user accounts, but
it'd be a non-invasive change.

On the other hand, if you're OK with the idea of changing all of your
client configurations to use the full email address as a login name, you
still don't need to rewrite your password files.  If you can map
"arbitr...@example.com" to "user0001", you can just as easily map the
existing accounts without changing them, and start using sequentially
numbered usernames for future accounts.  You'd just need to convert all
of your domains from local domains to virtual domains.

> I mean, I do absolutely not want  to  use  LDAP.   But  I  can  use  the
> PostgreSQL to use the mapping or whatever is required.  I  mean,  I  can
> use pam_pgsql and courier authpgsql.

Why PAM?  Are those users logging in to non-courier services?  Shell
accounts, maybe?