Hi everyone,

Okay, my first post disappeared. I'm not sure why. Apologies in
advance if it resurrects itself. I've been reading this forum for a
few weeks. It's incredibly informative. Nonetheless, I find myself in
a situation, and I can't find an exact answer. My partner and I are
about to commit to a commercial space in Brooklyn. Here's the offer:

2,500 sq ft

$3,800 with 2% increase (good for the area)

2 month abated rent

But, we have to pay broker fee ($3,800), so it's like we're getting
one month abated rent.

5-year lease (This seems good because the owner can't quickly jack up
the price until it's time for renewal.)

Here's the catch. The owner wants us to pay the property taxes, which
are $500 a month. Is this very unusual? We may be able to lower the
rent to compensate. The realtor also said that this rent will not go
up if the interior design makes property value go up. (I'm also
curious about occupancy tax. I read about it in this forum and wonder
if we will need to pay it.)

Lastly, he wants us to pay property insurance, but I think this just
means general liability, which we have to do any way.

Do you guys use lawyers when signing the lease? If so, any
recommendation from New York area?

Any suggestions/comments welcome!

Thanks,
Natalie and Cody