I'm trying to connect with people in the small town (13,000) people where
my business is located. I am in the downtown district and joined the
Chamber when I first came to town. Asked them on several occasions if they
would like to cosponsor educational forums, but was "politely told" that
they did their own programs and weren't interested.

I then asked to be part of the downtown merchant's association and was told
that for $100 a month, they would be happy to allow me entrance into the
"club". I couldn't afford it. I have on a couple of occasions said I'd be
part of a particular marketing event, but haven't got the money to do a lot
of things with them and because I am NOT retail, I don't fit into a lot of
their marketing ideas.

Today, I sent an email asking the director of the DMA to post this offer to
the group: the conversation follows (my email to him):

*It is so important to support each other in the “Buy Local” arena, that I
want to offer something to the other businesses in Three Rivers. At
Business Success Unlimited we have a table that provides handouts of
members of the group to the public that comes into the Center. I want to
open this up to the business owners of Three Rivers. If you would like to
bring in coupons of any sort from your organization (i.e., buy one get one
free, 10% off, etc.) I will be happy to hand them out to anyone who comes
in. I have a welcome package that we give to prospective members, and this
would be a great way to share your products/services with others, while
helping me provide my members with value added benefits to the Center. Any
takers? Thanks, in advance.*

*
*His response:

*Nancy ~ I feel that you will obtain more credibility from your neighbors
in Historic Downtown if you are involved in The Three Rivers Merchant Group
more so.*

* I pass  the info along that you send me to the TR Merchant Group AND
others….BUT with more involvement, like the Billboard Sponsorship, your
name will be ON the Billboard for $100 investment, OR any other type of
sponsorships you deem fit for your organization. *

* Collaboratively thinking!*

*
*​ I am furious -- but is it justified? Am I too close to the forest to see
the trees? How do I respond to this? What else (other than spend LOTS of
money with them, when in the year I've been there, I've not gotten a cent
from this group of people who have never bothered to come in, say hi, "kiss
my **!", or anything. I have offered to give them free marketing time to be
in a video I'm making on my business and on the town. I was going to give
them time to intro themselves and their business in the video that would
then be put on YouTube, etc. Not one person even responded. So -- what do I
do? My business has the potential to help people and in other places has
done exceedingly well. I just can't get these people to open their minds.
Thoughts?