Niki,

Breathe.  Remember, people do what you pay them to.  The Three Rivers
Merchant Association is in "Business" to make money.  Business.  As in, pay
us to get anything done.

I would go to every store individually and offer them coupon space.  Call
up the Welcome Wagon.  Ask them if they want to put a display out.  Call
Val-Pak.

 co-sponsoring.  Do you have a local county college?  Ask them to
co-sponsor.  Ask if you can become a satellite campus.  Hold a bake sale to
benefit a local popular charity.

Let Weight Watchers meet in your place one night a week.

Find the local Linux Users Group, OWASP chapter, ISSA, ISACA, any computer
related organization, and offer them meeting space.

Find the local FBI and Secret Service Field offices, and offer Infragard
and ECTF meeting space.  (I am affiliated with both, feel free to call if
you need help.)

Hell, hold D&D gaming nights.

Keep trying different things till you find some people who fit your
community, or till you find people who help to create and change your
community.  Keep them.  :)

Good luck.