Something that's been successful for us is direct invitations. We also do
some of the programs you mention, but also incorporate reaching out to
people in a specific way.  Being proactive and sending messages from person
to person is where we see the most successes.  I think it also sets the
stage for later friendships/partnerships within our group. We're still
fairly new and experimenting with what works, but so far this has been very
helpful.

Keep in mind that you are building something that people WANT to be a part
of. Talk about how it's the biggest and most exciting thing that's
happening in your town. We're mid-sized, and I do honestly think that
there's nothing as innovative as what we're building. I'm willing to bet
it's the same in your town. Talk big, think big, dream big!

Shenoa Lawrence
Room to Think
http://rm2think.com