I haven't found a system that does not rely on third-party servers.  You
can't really be a consumer level device and have all the remote programming
capabilities without having a server somewhere so I understand why this
is.  They also usually have some form of monetization strategy that
benefits from being tied to the company.

All that said, I'm looking to find or develop a solution that gets around
this.  The system I built for the hotel in SF is a first step, but there is
still a lot of work to be done before it's the solution I'm looking for.
For Ashley's art studios here in Seattle, I'm opting for inexpensive,
off-the-shelf hardware and I'll see if I can work some magic behind the
curtain.  Here is to hoping the Lockstate Remote Locks do the trick!

If anyone wants to help with all this hacking, I'd love to work together.
Also, if anyone has some hardware they want to donate to the cause I'm
happy to tinker with it to see if we can come up with a solution that works
for all of us.

Jacob