Matt,

Thank you so much for sharing this information. I have been working on my
business and financial model to open a coworking space in Portland, Oregon
so this is very timely. It also reinforces what I am seeing in my initial
pass, which is "how can something so right be so unprofitable?" Portland
office space costs don't help where we have to pay $20-25/sf/yr for
anything desirable. So for 6,500 sf I am looking at $10,000 just for rent.
Memberships alone won't pay the bills.

My research has reinforced the market need for meeting space that is
aesthetic, creative, and flexible. Basically, an alternative to the hotels
that put you in a basement and force you to eat (and pay for) their food.

I wonder if I should design my model to weigh more heavily on private
offices, meeting space rental, and business support services over communal
desk space. Obviously that is the nerve center for a community, but maybe
shifts to 50% of the space/revenue.

I guess I am interested in the communities advice for someone wanting to
start a cowork business as their sole business and not have a side job to
put food on the table.

Thanks for any advice and for being so transparent with your experience!

Dana