Our basic contract calls for one calendar month to be paid in advance.  At
any time during a calendar month, a coworker can let us know that in the
following month they want to terminate or upgrade or downgrade to a
different plan.  The last day is also good though almost nobody does that;
in that case we issue a credit for the invoice which has already issued but
is not yet late.

Several coworkers have asked for longer arrangements, quarterly is the most
popular.  But we have several who pay semi annually or annually in advance.

It does solve a number of problems.