I'm with Jon on this one. The all-in-one approach just doesn't make sense
to me.

Instead, we've assembled a toolchain of individual apps that let us
incrementally improve and focus our efforts where we know it'll get us the
most results. This reddit comment I made about a year ago is
*slightly* outdated,
but includes a large part of our toolkit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/CoWorking/comments/30ltlx/coworking_software_recommendations/cptm1og/

Case in point - I've been hunting for a tool to handle a collaborative
community calendar for YEARS and finally found it!

One recent addition that's missing from that comment is Teamup Calendar
<http://www.teamup.com/>, which is the BEST calendar tool I've found by a
longshot. Google Calendar is a common default, but it requires giving
people permission to be able to add things to it and even then, there's no
audit trail of activity.  Teamup is awesome because it doesn't even require
logins - it uses URLs for permissions e.g. admins get a special URL,
members get a different special URL, and the pubic website gets yet another
special URL.

As a result, members can add stuff to the calendar without needing to
remember a login, meaning more stuff ends up on the calendar and more
people actually LOOK at the calendar, too. We can embed the calendar in our
member site, directly link to it, and people can still subscribe to the
feeds in their iCal or Google Calendars. We have members across time zones
who even remarked how awesome it is that Teamup automatically adjusts for
time zones.

It's so f'ing awesome. It's *so* affordable. And we'd never get to use it
if we relied on an all-in-one!

Ironically, the one thing missing from our kit right now is a membership
manager that *just* does membership management. We've definitely outgrown
our current solution, but every other option I look at is trying to do a
dozen things at once and none of them especially well! :( And I can't help
but laugh every time a new app launches that promises "build more
community" and then designs their entire app around managing desks.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So much love for my software peeps - for real, it's the world I came from
before I started Indy Hall. But I'd looooove to see more single-serving
apps that pick one problem and solve it REALLY well. There's a lot of money
to be made there.

-Alex

*The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.*
Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org
Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com
My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten