I've been dreamin' about this for a long time:
https://dangerouslyawesome.com/2008/04/creative-agency/ In a lot of ways,
the Indy Hall community started with the fundamentals of this model before
we had a space. I was building my ecosystem of people who I knew and
trusted *before* I needed them, which let me sell work with a "voltron
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltron>" like model.

It's true that there's a whole mess of technical logistical issues that can
be be better solved easier today than 10 years ago...but the
organizational/community fundamentals are still slippery. But to date,
every version I've seen (including the ones that we've tried) have
ultimately broken down in one way or another.

In hindsight, I think the root problem that hasn't been addressed is the
balance between independence, interdependence, and dependence. It's not an
either/or...it's balancing them.

The model you described creates a network that is highly dependent on a
central "organization", not unlike like the talent agency I described in my
post above. The tricky part there is that expectations start to shift away
from people looking after each other (interdependence) and towards "who is
taking acre of me?" (dependence).

It's a bizarre thing to watch a healthy, thriving community be torn apart
by introducing dependencies. I still think it's possible, but in my
experience it's been a lot harder to build into something sustainable than
people expect...myself included :)

-Alex

*The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.*
Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org
Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com
My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten