That makes a lot of sense!

So....this doesn't directly address your question, but we've been able to
avoid a lot of the receivables headache by doing some form of auto-debit as
the default for our memberships. If someone NEEDS to pay with a check
(usually a company accounting requirement) we allow it with a minimum 3
month prepayment at a time - we don't offer a discount for that, since it's
us making a change to our usual workflow to accommodate for their
accounting needs. All other notices stay the same (for us, 30 days notice
required to get their deposit back). This pre-payment flow just reduces the
number of times per year that I have to think about someone being late, and
lets me focus on everything else.

We do have to deal with failed payments via auto-debit (cards expire, get
lost, etc), and similar to your situation I've learned that *sometimes it
takes a firm but friendly communication directly from the "head" of the
organization* (vs a location manager) to get people to take action. I don't
like that I have to step in, but it works nearly every time my teammates
have been unable to get someone to address a billing issue.

As for stuff you can put into writing for future reference, you might
include something that puts a firm per-day rate that will be billed outside
of active membership. We have this in place for when members periodically
add a person to their team for an unknown amount of time - we just make it
clear that those days are billed at X rate and automatically added to their
next monthly invoice & charge.

Communication is really the key to all of this - I'm very, very flexible
(and encourage my team to be) as long as people are proactive
communicators. Changes happen, and we always try to find a fair compromise
when we can. When someone abuses our flexibility by *not communicating with
us* my flexibility becomes much more limited.

Hope this helps!

*The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.*
Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org
Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com
My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten