I've submitted almost the same message under perl.beginners because
I'm not sure where this fits better.  I am pretty much a beginner with
perl, especially with module installation.  In the past cpan has just
"done the right thing" for me, for which I have been grateful...

I was installing PDF::Create with cpan under cygwin and it "suggested"
that I upgrade cpan by also installing Bundle::CPAN.  I tried that and
now I have a mess.

Whenever I try to install a new module now, I get this error:

CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
Can't call method "value" on an undefined value at /usr/lib/perl5/
vendor_perl/5.8/IO/Uncompress/RawInflate.pm line 64.

>From googling a bit, I think that the problem is that Bundle::CPAN
tried to install Compress::Zlib and you can't install Compress::Zlib
using cpan in cygwin.

http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Compress/Compress-Zlib-1.21.readme

The Compress::Zlib readme linked above says:

>  Win32 & Cygwin Notes
>  --------------------
>
>  It is not possible to install Compress::Zlib using the CPAN shell.
>  This is because the Compress::Zlib DLL is itself used by the CPAN shell
>  and it is impossible to remove a DLL while it is already loaded under
>  Windows.
>
>  The workaround is to install Compress::Zlib manually using the
>  instructions given at the start of this file.

---

but, I don't really know how to follow the manual instructions because
I don't even know where perl modules are on my machine under the
cygwin install.

And... I'm not sure if I need to do something to get rid of the bad
version first?

Can someone handhold me through getting this fixed?

Thanks in advance!