andreas.koenig.7os6v...@franz.ak.mind.de (Andreas J. Koenig) wrote:

>  > I finally succeeded, with some difficulties.
>
>  > First, the CPAN version (v1.7602) provided with that distro is apparently
>  > broken.
>
>Eight years and more than 120 releases have accumulated on top of this
>version. Pity you have to work with such old stuff.

Thank you for the response.

I need a stable distro, CentOS seems like a good choice, CentOS 6
isn't out quite yet.

>  > [...]
>
>  > Then I installed needed modules via "cpan module module ...".  That went
>  > fine, but it still prompts:
>  > - MIME::Lite "Add prereqs?" prompt for extra external modules.
>  > - Crypt::SSLeay prompts for install path and live tests.
>
>  > How can I pre-set the answers to those?
>
>Make sure you have a recent CPAN.pm and read the manpage section
>
>    Configuration for individual distributions (Distroprefs)

That's good but but seems complex for my needs; I think I'll just
use autoexpect/expect with the cpan command.

>  > So I was thinking of just archiving the installed modules from the source
>  > machine and unarchiving on the destination, e.g. just tar up:
>  >     /usr/lib/perl5/*
>  >     /usr/lib64/perl5/*
>  > and restore on the target (ignoring module docs).  Would that work?  (I'd
>  > still unarchive the .cpan sources so they are present, just wouldn't build
>  > them via cpan commands).
>
>If the architectures are sufficiently similar it's likely to work.

Thanks, I'll try it at some point.

>  > CPAN question: how can I list all installed modules?  The closest I could
>  > find is the "r" command, but it's not clear if that is listing every
>  > installed modules, or just those that are candidates for upgrades.
>
>You're looking for for 'autobundle'. Much to my surprise, 'r' is
>undocumented indeed. Will be in the next release. And yes, it only lists
>upgradeable modules.

OK, I'd tried autobundle and seen the output, but thought there
might be a separate command that didn't create the actual bundle
file.  I'll just use autobundle and manually clean out the Bundle
directory periodically.