From: Barbie
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:13 AM
To: David Golden
Cc: Sisyphus ; CPAN Testers Discuss
Subject: Re: Baffling Inline-0.54_01 test failures.
This is one area I would like to improve with the CPAN Testers Reports site. I
often get questions about distributions with the same name, but due the legacy
way this was handled, it's never been adequately resolved, such that older
distributions couldn't be distinguished from each other (at least not
reliably). Now that we have the metabase facts, we can.

Once a few other projects out the way, I will take another look at this, and
see what changes are necessary to use the AUTHOR as well as the version to
differentiate between distributions and associated reports.

Thanks,
Barbie.

--
Birmingham.pm - http://birmingham.pm.org
CPAN Testers - http://cpantesters.org

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 2:50 PM, David Golden <x...@xdg.me> wrote:

  On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 2:49 AM,  <sisyph...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
  > Can I be sure that the tester reports I quoted were in response to the
  > latter ? .... or could they have been in response to the former ?

  Look at the "Dear XXXX" part of the email, as that is generated from
  the author's PAUSE ID.

  This is one of the big, historical problems in the CPAN ecosystem.
  Many, many services assume that a distribution name is unique and
  there was never any restriction on that.

  Recently, at the QA Hackathon, PAUSE now will not index a distribution
  tarball unless the uploader has permissions on a package corresponding
  to the distribution name, but that only keeps the problem out of the
  index file.  Many smokers test all uploads regardless of indexing
  status.

  The Metabase that holds the CPAN Testers info actually captures
  AUTHOR/TARBALL, but that's not exposed downstream so the "Dear XXXX"
  is the best you've got.

  David

  --
  David Golden <x...@xdg.me> Twitter/IRC: @xdg