On Sat, Oct 07, 2023 at 10:37:36PM -0400, James E Keenan wrote:
> The only thing which I think is different from my last CPAN upload is that
> about a month ago I upgraded my server from http:// to https://.  I have not
> encountered any problems with the server since then.  The file permissions
> on the tarballs I was trying to upload are 0644 -- same as all the other
> dozens of tarballs I've uploaded from that server.
>
> Any ideas as to why I could not upload from my server (for the first time in
> 18 years!)?

For some reason it can't verify the certificate:

2023-10-08 02:47:59 $$1354 v1049: Alert: nosuccesscount[10] error[Can't connect
to thenceforward.net:443 (certificate verify failed)] (paused:708)

You might try testing your site with:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

which will detect problems that might not show in a browser.

It might be the host performing the fetch is missing the root
certificate needed for your LetsEncrypt certificate, but ssltest is
the place to start.

Tony