At 4:26 PM -0700 5/29/01, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>       My name came up several times during the Bell trial,
>with the connection being that it was "in a message to Ray
>Dillinger" that Bell hatched an idea for using PCB's to
>destroy the value of seized automobiles, and that this letter
>"to Ray Dillinger" was found on the seized computer.
>
>       The fact is, that message was not written to me. It
>was written to the cypherpunks list.  The message was not in
>response to anything I wrote, either.  The only thing that
>connects me to that message is that I responded to it, suggesting
>putrescene instead and pointing out that it, unlike PCB's, is
>perfectly legal to apply to your own property prior to seizure.
>
>       I have not been accused of anything, nor yet charged,
>subpeona'd, or detained.  But this error in the record worries
>me.  And in the future it could worry potential employers, etc.
>I believe that there is a substantial risk that this erroneous
>information in the public record will do me harm.
>
>       Is there any procedure for correcting the record?

This is the same question Alia Johnson, sister of Carl Johnson/alias
C.J. Parker/alias Toto (is Alia and alias, too?) asked several days
ago.

The simple answer is: No. Your words, Bell's words, my words, those
SS numbers, those home addresses, those bomb formulas, and those
plots to release Sarin near the Tacoma courthouse are all in the
"archives." Meaning, on CD-ROMs made by various people and put up as
copies, on dozens of disk drives, and in various university and
corporate archives.

>       Are there any consequences to the prosecution for making
>such an error in their case?  I don't believe the identity of
>the presumed "person the message was written to" is germane to
>the case, so on the one hand I don't think the error affects
>their case at all and on the other, I don't know why a name had
>to be trotted out in court in the first place. The fact that it
>was my own name (false information) and that there is a risk
>that it will do me harm is upsetting.

"Ray Dillinger" already comes up in Google searches as being someone
associated with criminal activities. I hope you weren't planning to
get a corporate job or run for public office.

Next time, in your next life perhaps, use a nym.

As for "consequences to the prosecution," get real. And it's not even
clear from the example you cite that the gubment made an error. They
_identified_ the e-mail as one addressed to Ray Dillinger. If Bell
was replying to you, or cited your name in his "To:" field, or was
responding to one of your points, then it's certainly fair enough to
say "Exhibit A, an e-mail from the defendant to Ray Dillinger."
(Yeah, one can quibble and say it was an e-mail to "a list." But if
it had your name in it, as above, then it's also a letter addressed
to _you_.)

This e-mail, for example, is a letter to _you_, as well as to the list.

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         [EMAIL PROTECTED]        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns