By Robert Corzine in Vienna
Published: September 10 2000 19:47GMT | Last Updated: September 11 2000
06:31GMT



The world's leading oil exporters agreed on Sunday to boost output in an
attempt to stave off further price rises that petroleum consuming countries
fear could threaten the world's economic stability.

Oil ministers from the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries agreed
to raise output by 800,000 barrels a day. It will be the third Opec
production increase this year, and is seen as the last chance for the cartel
to take some speculative steam out of world oil markets before the northern
hemisphere's peak winter demand.

In recent weeks oil prices have surged to fresh 10-year highs of around $35
a barrel as reports of continuing low inventories of crude oil and refined
products in the US, the world's biggest single oil market, raised the
spectre of winter supply shortages.

Oil ministers meeting in Vienna said on Sunday they wanted to see prices
within the $22-$28 a barrel price band set by the group earlier this year.
However, analysts say it is unlikely that the latest production increase
will do much to force prices below $30 a barrel, at least in the short term.

Given Opec's current over-production, some analysts believe the number of
"new" barrels reaching the world oil market as a result of Sunday's
agreement could be as few as 325,000 barrels per day. In addition it will
take at least seven weeks for much of the new oil to be shipped from the
Gulf to the US.

Although the latest increase may not prove decisive in capping the oil
market buoyancy, much will depend on how those markets view the
determination of Saudi Arabia - Opec's dominant member and the member state
most wary of high oil prices - eventually to push prices below the
politically sensitive $30 level.

Over the past week Saudi officials have adopted an unusually high public
profile in an effort to talk down prices. The US, the world's biggest oil
importer, called the agreement "a step in the right direction". But a White
House official added: "Whether this will be effective and will be enough to
stabilise the market remains to be seen."

Ali Al-Naimi, the Saudi Arabian oil minister, and the leading figure in the
Opec deliberations, said he was "happy" with the agreement, even though the
kingdom had been reported to be advocating an increase of around 1m barrels
a day or more.

He said the agreement had been built around a consensus within the cartel.
Later, Saudi Arabian officials confirmed that Opec is "prepared to do more
if necessary" to ensure that there is adequate oil on the world market to
dampen price pressures. The next opportunity to increase production could
come in late October. Much of the discussions in Vienna centred around the
amount of spare capacity that Opec has. Although most countries are said to
be close to capacity, Saudi Arabia is thought to have between 1.6m and 1.7m
barrels a day in surplus capacity even after the quota increase.

The finance ministry of France, which holds the rotating presidency of the
European Union, also said the increase was a step in the right direction,
although a final verdict would depend on its impact on the oil prices.



_______________________________________________
Crashlist resources: http://website.lineone.net/~resource_base
To change your options or unsubscribe go to:
http://lists.wwpublish.com/mailman/listinfo/crashlist

Reply via email to