[from the Financial Times] Farc shares Venezuelan thinking By Andy Webb-Vidal Published: September 11 2000 19:00GMT | Last Updated: September 11 2000 23:41GMT There is no agreement between the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (Farc), the country's biggest guerrilla movement, and the Venezuelan government, according to a regional Farc commander. But relations between the two are far from hostile. The Venezuelan media has speculated in recent weeks that a formal accord exists between the government of left-leaning President Hugo Chavez and the Farc. In return for a pledge to cease kidnappings and extortion in Venezuela, it is suggested, a blind eye is being turned to retreats by the Farc on to Venezuelan soil for rest and recuperation. "As far as state policy is concerned there has been a change in attitude and there have been gestures from the Venezuelan government," said Commander Ruben Zamora, who leads the Farc's 33 Front in the Catatumbo district. "But we have not made any agreement in terms of mutual respect in the border area between the Farc and the Venezuelan armed forces," Mr Zamora said. "We are guided by the same Bolivarian thinking. We admire the democratic process of change that is taking place in Venezuela." Commander Zamora, aged 38 and a Farc guerrilla for the past 14 years, said he has no doubt that the conflict in Colombia will intensify as a result of Plan Colombia, and that large numbers of refugees will flow into neighbouring Venezuela and Ecuador. "We are preparing ourselves for the battle against US intervention," he said. "All wars leave displacements and refugees. We estimate that through the 150km border stretch between Cucuta and Catatumbo there could pass as many as 60,000 refugees." While claiming that the Venezuelan army had shown "solidarity" with the refugees, and saying that Mr Chavez's humanitarian stance towards the displaced Colombians on the border was laudable, Mr Zamora also said that the National Guard had been responsible for occasional mistreatment of refugees. "There have been cases of extortion and the theft of food and livestock, but Mr Chavez can't be held responsible for the arbitrariness of some of the lower ranking National Guardsmen," he said. _______________________________________________ Crashlist resources: http://website.lineone.net/~resource_base To change your options or unsubscribe go to: http://lists.wwpublish.com/mailman/listinfo/crashlist
