Observer Ed Vulliamy in New York and Gaby Hinsliff
Sunday January 14, 2001

A new arms race looms this weekend after reports that Russia and China are preparing
to enter into a historic pact, spurred by plans by the incoming Bush administration
to plough ahead with a vast missile defence screen.
The controversial National Missile Defence programme (NMD) - nicknamed Son of Star
Wars - would deploy thousands of air defence missiles to shoot down incoming
intercontinental ballistic weapons fired by rogue states or international
terrorists.

To be effective, the US would have to be allowed to use the early warning station at
Fylingdales in Yorkshire. Former Defence Minister Peter Kilfoyle, writing in The
Observer today, warns Tony Blair against the scheme,saying it is a 'dangerous flight
of fancy' that would leave Britain vulnerable to attack.

The prospect of renewed international tensions came as Moscow and Beijing announced
the forging of a treaty and strategic alliance over arms and space programmes which
could rupture the new, post-Cold War world order. If the treaty is developed into a
fully fledged alliance, it would be the first to be joined by China in decades.

A source in President Clinton's State Department said: 'The Russians are pretty
baffled and more than a little scared. While they want to be seen to welcome and
work with the incoming President, they are bound to wonder who this amount of
warfaring material is supposed to be against.'

The French Defence Minister is travelling to Moscow for talks on the new missile
system, which France opposes.

The British Government is split on the issue, but The Observer can reveal that,
privately, it has warned Washington that it should go ahead with NMD only if it can
secure international agreement.

'We said to the Clinton administration that we do not want you to proceed
unilaterally,' said one Whitehall source. 'That is also the stance we are starting
to adopt with the new administration.

'Don't underestimate Number 10's strategy on this - it is not about saying "come on
board and roll all over me".'

However both sides of the debate accept the US is not backing down on the idea.
Bush's choice for Pentagon Chief, Donald Rumsfeld, has called for a total overhaul
of US defence strategy and weaponry, with vast spending increases and the missile
defence screen at the core of the new strategy.

Rumsfeld, who also held the office under President Ford, is heir to the hawkish wing
which pushed Star Wars and is understood to have dismissed the anti-ballistic
missile treaty with Russia, pivotal to the halting of the arms race, as 'ancient
history'. Threats from China and 'suspicions' towards Russia were discussed last
week between Bush's defence staff and Clinton's defence chief William Cohen. One
aide said both nations were 'not allies and certainly not friends'.

The aggressive signals from Washington have alarmed the Foreign Office in London.

Although the Ministry of Defence has been keener not to offend the Americans,
insiders say even there opinion is divided on whether Britain should allow its base
to be used in what could be an echo of the Greenham Common debacle, inspiring public
protest and a likely rebellion on the Labour backbenches.

Kilfoyle says the plan will be 'hugely destabilising' to international relations in
a clear warning to Blair not to become involved.

'The British Government will need to decide just how much it's worth to offer itself
as a hostage to the fortunes of a misguided - literally and metaphorically -
strategic defence initiative,' he says.

'If America's putative enemies do have plans to suicidally attack America, why
should we turn ourselves into the primary target?'

Star Wars was pushed into the domestic spotlight by William Hague's announcement
last week that a Tory government would support it.

Ministers had hoped that if Al Gore got into the White House, he might drop the
idea. But now the issue has become an awkward test of the 'special relationship' in
the post-Clinton era.

Downing Street believes technical problems with the system - in tests the
interceptors meant to shoot down missiles missed them all - will mean the decision
can be put off for months if not years.

The Sino-Russian pact has its origins in a visit by Russian President Vladimir Putin
to Beijing last summer, but the final agreements were sealed just before Christmas.

Yesterday, the chairman of the strategic research department at the US Naval Defence
College, Jonathan Pollack, said: 'These negotiations are being publicised on the eve
of the Bush presidency. Both leaderships are very uneasy about the new
administration's plans to accelerate missile defence'.

Pollack said such a move would return the global pattern to an East-West conflict.




_______________________________________________
Crashlist website: http://website.lineone.net/~resource_base

Reply via email to