On 27/02/2020 13:46, Ethan Gruber wrote:
I really disagree with alternative URL patterns and using them in RDF. That URL
pattern is *not* the concept,
The URL has well-defined semantics (e.g.) "this is Richard Light's CRM
rendition of the Geonames place Burgess Hill". It's a derived concept.
and whomever generates these URLs is responsible for maintaining them
permanently.
Absolutely. If someone sets up a (sub-)domain to provide this sort of service,
they should do so with the same degree of commitment as someone setting up a
Linked Data resource from scratch.  But then, if we can never get to the point
of trusting, and using, 'someone else's URLs', we will forever remain cowering
in our silos, as I mentioned below.  And our data would not, in any useful
sense, be Linked Data.
A web service like this works in theory, but I would say that the majority of
the LOD-oriented vocabulary systems used in cultural heritage do not come with
SPARQL endpoints. Each of them offers some flavor of machine-readable data, so
you'd have to build your web service around REST calls for RDF/XML or JSON and
building a mapping from those serializations into Linked Art JSON-LD.

Yes, you probably would [have to do this].  So you would need to decide whether
it was worth the investment in the mapping work and software development, given
the scale and utility of the resource this would give you (and everyone else)
access to.  I don't see that as an argument for not adopting the approach at
all.

Also, please note that I am discussing this in the context of the CRM SIG, not
Linked Art.  So the service would simply aim to generate a generic CRM-valid
sub-graph. Also, I would expect it to offer a reasonable range of
serializations, not just JSON-LD.

The best solution is to relax CIDOC CRM to allow people to use vocabularies
that aren't built on CIDOC CRM. Domains and ranges should be considered
guidelines, not absolutes. There's nothing technically prohibitive about
inserting CRM linking to Getty URIs describing artistic objects into a SPARQL
endpoint, and also loading those Getty vocabularies into the same endpoint, and
then building SPARQL queries that exploit the capabilities of both data models.
Using property paths in SPARQL are more scalable in production than activating
inferencing engines.

That's sort of where I started from ("be relaxed about the semantic
discontinuity" below).  However, I suspect there are members of this group who
would be far from relaxed about this.

As it happens, another respondent has just pointed out what looks like a
solution to the original problem which exercised the Linked Art group (using
ULAN and TGN in a CRM-compatible setting), and I have forwarded their comments
to that group.

Richard

Ethan

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 7:01 AM Richard Light