On 12.09.14 17:05, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 17:11:30 +0300
> Riku Voipio <riku.voi...@linaro.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just invited a bunch of attendees at linaro connect for
>> cross-distribution meeting in the next connect. Sadly it's not
>> officially on the scheduled talks, so there is no remote participation
>> this time. However you still have a change to reply here and add items
>> to our agenda :)
>>
>> Draft agenda:
>>
>> - Review status of various distributions ARMv7 and ARMv8 support
>> - Discuss boot environment standardization (U-Boot/UEFI/GRUB..)
>>  - uEnv.txt
>    armv7 should all be standardising on extlinux.conf u-boot is rapidly
>    adopting it as the standard way for distros to boot, and have a
>    stable know interface between the distro and u-boot

I'm personally not quite as passionate here. My main concern is that I
want things to be consistent across the board at least inside of
openSUSE. There are platforms out there that simply load a boot.scr from
SD card, so that's a mechanism I have to support anyway.

That said, I wouldn't mind to provide another u-boot binary for that
particular platform, boot into it and then have that one check for an
extlinux.conf.

But whatever happens, it really has to be consistent across the board,
and preferably still work with older downstream u-boot forks.

>>  - legacy platforms
>> - Installers vs pre-built images
>    we should eb using installers where ever possible.

Why? For most use cases the image based approach is nicer.

That said, for AArch64 with EFI we will provide both installers and
images (and tools to create your own images).

>> - What remaning OSS software needs to be ported to ARMv8
>> - Identifying common pain points Linaro could solve

Testing of upstream kernels. Especially in non-defconfig configurations
where everything is a module. IIUC Linaro has automated testing for a
good number of boards. It would be great if they could also test the
upstream kernel - maybe in allmodconfig style configurations?

>> Also, if you are interested in the session and didn't get an invite
>> from me - just mail me and I'll add you to the meeting in zerista - or
>> just pop up at the Platform hacking room in tuesday. The meeting might
>> move somewhere else, but people in the room will be able to give the
>> directions to the moved meeting.
>
> Seems like something I should attend but I will not be at linaro
> connect. If I had known about it sooner perhaps I could have made it.
> but a couple of days is not enough time to organise anything.

I won't be there either.

Alex