On 05/05/2016 09:26 AM, Simon Glass wrote:

Perhaps ARM could create a set of guidelines here?

Hahaha! Funniest thing I've heard all week :)

Of course, that would be the ideal, as would an industry that acted rationally and listened to such requirements (frankly, I personally would make basic platform standards a requirement of licensing the architecture or any of its pieces). On server, we do it correctly by forcefully separating platform flash from boot media and using "big pointy stick" (aka OS vendor clout) to enforce compliance. While people on non-server parts continue to misuse SD cards and other media to contain bootloaders, they're going to get what they are asking for: a mess. They can't really want real general purpose OS support until they understand that to do this properly requires that you don't force distros to ship firmware (sure, others will point out that distros do this today and it just about works for some boards, etc.).

But is it really worth trying after so long of the right thing not happening? If anyone really cared about making general purpose distros boot on embedded boards, efforts to compel standards would have happened years ago. To do it right, we would need to have a couple of vendors involved who could compel vendors to comply.

Jon.