>   Save for having other people do releases, next on my wish list would be
> for people to periodically try the release process (make archive from the
> top level dir - same place you run configure).  If everything 'works',
> doing a release isn't that time consuming.
>
>   But often, things don't work, and it then takes a considerable amount of
> time to track down the problems.  Most common is new files getting added to
> SVN, but not the actual makefiles (things like header files, but could also
> be config files).

The client release procedure on the Wiki has been used as a model for
testing the releasability of the trunk clients.  A lot of time was spend
fixing up various aspects of the release procedure including updates to
configure.ac, various Makefile.am, crossfire-client.spec, etc..  To the
best of my knowledge, there are no remaining issues.  I was able to run
the procedure start to finish, and wind up a full set of working RPMS
on my Mandriva 2008.1 x86_64 system.

Basically all the work is done.  All someone has to do is run the
procedure and upload tarballs and RPMs.  Should any issues arise due
to platform differences, I'm willing to help resolve issues as needed.

Kevin Bulgrien