Hi Arvid,

I have discussed these issues in some detail in the IRC channel. I believe
I can answer your questions and propose solutions, sadly I lack the talent
to make any changes.

> There are a few things that we are both annoyed with though. One is the
key press handling. If I "walk" by holding a direction key, it seems key
repeats are queued so that the PC continues to walk long after the button
is released. Usually into a trapped door...

> Similarly with search: hold down the search key to make a thorough search
of the immediate area (say, 4 x 5 searches), and after the key is released,
and additional 2 x 5 searches or so are made before the PC can do anything
else. The delay is a couple of seconds and makes the client feel really
sluggish. This usually happen when something horrible shows up, like a
"sweet little girl". (She killed me. Oh, the shame!)

This is client side effect. The client will store up to 10 commands before
'overflowing' and ignoring further commands. For very slow actions this is
very noticeable. When a player starts running the client will continue to
send running events (i think this is actualy server side, sorry beyond my
knowledge) until an interrupt is sent to stop. The solution I have
discussed was that the client should queue commands as long as they are the
same action as per the current system, however, if an alternate action is
pressed it should interrupt the queue and immediately do this action
instead. I believe it was added to someones to do list right down the
bottom but I agree that this seems to be a really powerful aspect of
crossfire which adds a laggy or delayed feel to an otherwise rapid paced
game. I suggested this might be a client setting that users can set a
preference for.

Basically, yes I agree with your concerns and questions that this aspect of
crossfire could be improved and I believe the current bottleneck is simply
time. The age old #crossfire response: "sure, code it".

In the short term I found it very valuable to understand how the client
works, I have changed the way I make key pressed to minimize such "sweet
little girl" scenarios as you have described :).

Regards,

dnh