We're definitely aware that there are a variety of consumers that
aren't visible in the limited metrics available to us. Maintaining the
status quo is always the "best" path in the short term for our users,
as it removes the need to make alterations of any kind. However, that
stance is incompatible with moving the broader ecosystem towards
better solutions, so the reality is that we need to balance our desire
to have a maintainable system and improve the project with myriad
other needs. As a packager of our project I would expect, when
encountering news of a change in the build system, that you would
clone the current repository, experiment with it in your environment,
and let us know if there's some issue beyond simple problems like
needing to install a compatible rustc. Thus far it's unclear to me
what action you want this project to take in response to your
statements in this thread.

We believe incorporating Rust into cryptography is in the best
long-term interest of the project for users and developers. For
example, we can provide high performance memory safe implementations
of parsers through our Rust bindings and we'll be able to implement
support for some things that were previously not practical (arbitrary
ASN.1 parsing is extremely unpleasant in OpenSSL).

We have no intention of replacing OpenSSL itself, as it provides a
variety of advantages (especially in the realm of compliance) to our
users, but Rust code will augment the core over time.

To minimize the pain on the subset of users that need to compile
cryptography themselves we have announced this in multiple venues and
have developed a plan to ensure minimal impact. We recognize that
there's no truly effective means of communication with all of our
users other than shipping code, so our upcoming 3.4 release allows you
to entirely disable the Rust requirement *without affecting
functionality in any way*. This allows packagers who haven't seen our
previous announcements additional time to determine the best way to
properly support a hard Rust dependency.

If you have additional suggestions on how we can more effectively
communicate this transition we would be happy to discuss them. The
only hard statement is that we do not intend to turn back from this
path because we believe it would be irresponsible to do so. A safe
library must attempt to use memory safe languages where feasible, and
performance is a critical feature to many of our users.

-Paul Kehrer (reaperhulk)