Cryptography-Digest Digest #131, Volume #12      Wed, 28 Jun 00 17:13:00 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Hey Tom, you wanted to break it ! ;-) (tomstd)
  Howdy (tomstd)
  Research Trends in Electronic Voting ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Idea or 3DES ("Ice_Makr")
  SV: simple crypting
  SV: simple crypting
  Re: very large primes ("mike")
  Re: Thoughts on "Cracking" of Genetic Code (rick2)
  Re: very large primes (S. T. L.)
  Re: Idea or 3DES (Jim Gillogly)
  Re: very large primes (James Felling)
  Re: very large primes (James Felling)
  Re: Idea or 3DES ("Trevor L. Jackson, III")
  Re: How Close? (Scott Nelson)
  Re: Idea or 3DES ("Trevor L. Jackson, III")
  Re: very large primes (Doug Kuhlman)
  Re: very large primes ("Tony T. Warnock")
  Re: very large primes ("Trevor L. Jackson, III")
  Re: Thoughts on "Cracking" of Genetic Code ("Donald L. Nash")
  Re: very large primes (Doug Kuhlman)
  Markov Ciphers ("Lucas C. Ferreira")
  Re: Hey Tom, you wanted to break it ! ;-) (Simon Johnson)
  Re: Yardley: Codebreaking or Torture (jungle)
  Re: Dynamical Cryptography algorithm (Sylvain Martinez)
  Re: Dynamical Cryptography algorithm (Sylvain Martinez)
  Re: Thoughts on "Cracking" of Genetic Code ("CrakMan")
  Re: Research Trends in Electronic Voting (David A Molnar)
  Re: Compression and known plaintext in brute force analysis (restatements caused by
the missing info .... thread) (zapzing)

Subject: Re: Hey Tom, you wanted to break it ! ;-)
From: tomstd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:13:26 -0700

Runu Knips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Now what is Tom doing ? Still not ready with
>the exams ? ;-)

I don't have full INET for about another week so I won't be able
to crack at your Paranoia (cipher) at the moment.  I hope I get
back in time :)

In the mean time I am working on my book and hopefully the first
two chapters will be ready soon.

Tom

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

Subject: Howdy
From: tomstd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:14:27 -0700

Hey tom's not dead!  My isp is just messing around with me.  In
a week or two I will be back.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy
Subject: Research Trends in Electronic Voting
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 18:08:07 GMT

Dear All,

Thanks for reading this. I hope you will help me. I am a CS student and
want to work on electronic voting. I have read papers on it but could
not find out current trends in this area. Can you please provide me any
helpful information in this regard, any web site, emails or archives
etc.

Waiting for reply,

Kunwar Asif.

From: "Ice_Makr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.security.scramdisk,comp.security.pgp.discuss
Subject: Re: Idea or 3DES
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:31:44 -0500

I find all this very interesting but to cut through all the knowledge that
is obviously commenting on this "and not to show my ignorance on this
subject"
but can i asume the i should'nt have my perfered algorithm "cast" and change
it to IDEA?? or 3DES???

I want my things to be as safe as posible.  if i change my cast do i need to
make a new key????

just my 2cents among the 50's  :)

--
Later,

       Ice_M

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SV: simple crypting
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:46:52 +0200

thank you for putting up the URL for i here then

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:47:18 +0200

just to see if it was too simple to crack..

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: very large primes
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:38:07 -0500

If you want a prime number then this formula will do:

PrimeNum = 2 ^ ( SomeOtherPrimeNum ) - 1
You can even iterate with it several times ( take the new PrimeNum and stick
it in SomeOtherPrimeNum ).

note: ^ is not XOR

------------------------------

From: rick2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on "Cracking" of Genetic Code
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 18:42:00 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, JCA
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     Though a nice achievement I think there is too much in
> the way of media hoopla about it. My understanding (and
> I'd very much like for someone with nontrivial genetics
> and biochemistry savvy to comment on this) is that they
> now know what precise sequence of the four bases comprise
> the human DNA.

To a first approximation, that is correct. It is not what
a mathematician would call precise, since there are errors
(about 1 per 10000 bases is probably wrong) and there are
gaps of a few percent. Most of the missing stuff is junk,
and unlikely to code for anything of any importance.
In addition, we are all different, so the prototypic sequence
derived (from a half dozen or so people) does not actually
correspond to a single real person (but could).

>     It's like being able to tell the exact string of symbols that
> constitute, say, The Tiger, Rustaveli's Georgian epic. If you
> know no Georgian and want nevertheless to understand the
> poem then this is the point at which the real work begins.
>
>     In a nutshell, what has been achieved is fine, but a piece
> of cake when compared with what is left to do.

True, but when do you get to crack the champagne bottle? Picking out
the gene boundaries, identifying the encoded proteins, and elucidating
their functions will trickle in over the next hundreds of years without
any definite end. It's not like decryption where all of a sudden you
get the single result, and the whole shooting match is over. I think
this is just a popular press milestone for the public.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (S. T. L.)
Date: 28 Jun 2000 18:42:48 GMT

Read a book.  I'm near to completing the Mathematics section of my Book Reviews
(30 math books reviewed, about a dozen more to do).  You can find it at
http://members.aol.com/stl137/books.html if you'd like.

-*---*-------
S.T.L.  My Quotes Page * http://quote.cjb.net * leads to my NEW site.
Pages up: 407 Quotes, 31 reviews of 168 science books, and a review of
the Foundation series. Newest Page: S.T.L.'s Fighter Jet Paper Airplane!

------------------------------

From: Jim Gillogly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.security.scramdisk,comp.security.pgp.discuss
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 18:52:20 +0000

Ice_Makr wrote:

> I find all this very interesting but to cut through all the knowledge that
> is obviously commenting on this "and not to show my ignorance on this
> subject"
> but can i asume the i should'nt have my perfered algorithm "cast" and change
> it to IDEA?? or 3DES???

There's nothing known to be wrong with any of these three algorithms as
used in PGP... at least not wrong enough to threaten your data.  3DES is
the most conservative choice despite its shorter effective keylength, in
my opinion, but I'm comfortable with the other two as well.  So far.

> I want my things to be as safe as posible.  if i change my cast do i need to
> make a new key????

No.  Your public key stays the same regardless of which symmetric algorithm
you use.
--
        Jim Gillogly
        Mersday, 5 Afterlithe S.R. 2000, 18:48

------------------------------

From: James Felling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:55:17 -0500

You dont have time to do a few multiply and adds? You are on a PC of
somesort if you are posting here, use its power.  A simple test loop in
what ever language you have access to will give good results in a few
seconds -- much faster than we will.

------------------------------

From: James Felling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:56:37 -0500

Darren New wrote:

> > is (n!-1) always a prime, and does anyone know of a proof or disproof?
>
> I think you're thinking of (n!+1)

That is not always a prime either. (4! +1) =24+1 =25.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:13:48 -0400
From: "Trevor L. Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

JPeschel wrote:

> "Trevor L. Jackson, III" [EMAIL PROTECTED]  writes:
>
> >JPeschel wrote:
>
> >> Jim probably infers, correctly, that the US government was unwilling to
> >> prosecute
> >> the author of PGP because it dropped its case.
> >
> >Incorrectly.  The case would not have been made, and PRZ indicted, if the USG
> >was
> >unwilling.  The appropriate explanation for a dropped case is inability.
>
> Nope, the government dropped its charges because it wasn't certain
> it could win, and it didn't want to take a chance of ITAR being
> ruled unconstitutional.

Right.  That means it was *unable* to make the charges stick, not that it was
*unwilling* to make the charges stick.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Nelson)
Subject: Re: How Close?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 19:05:23 GMT

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 tomstd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Future Beacon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Scott,
>>
>>Thank you for this reply and thank you for informing me of
>>sci.crypt.random-numbers.  I was unaware of it.
>
>It's not on remarq or deja yet so I doubt it's really that
>popular.

sci.crypt.random-numbers is available on dejanews.com.
Deja has carried it essentially from it's beginning.

As to whether it's popular, that's more a matter of opinion.
It currently has more posts than sci.crypt.research,
but considerably less than sci.crypt.

Scott Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:16:47 -0400
From: "Trevor L. Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If you look carefully you'll find that I canceled that post immediately after sending
it.  The claim of an indictment is/was false -- erroneous.

 If you look further you'll find that you have not mentioned any fact that
distinguishes unwillingness (lack of motivation) from inability (lack of capability).

From: Doug Kuhlman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:47:43 -0500

Darren New wrote:

> > is (n!-1) always a prime, and does anyone know of a proof or disproof?
>
> I think you're thinking of (n!+1)

Which is equally silly.  4!+1=25, which is simply not prime.

From: "Tony T. Warnock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:12:19 -0600

mike wrote:

> If you want a prime number then this formula will do:
>
> PrimeNum = 2 ^ ( SomeOtherPrimeNum ) - 1
> You can even iterate with it several times ( take the new PrimeNum and stick
> it in SomeOtherPrimeNum ).
>
> note: ^ is not XOR

You mean like 2**11-1?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:30:11 -0400
From: "Trevor L. Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Have you looked at the numbers?

2 : 1
3 : 5
4 : 23
5 : 119  oops 7x17

What does that tell you?

------------------------------

From: "Donald L. Nash" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:34:19 -0500

In article <rb-7C8474.13421928062000@news>, rick2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I think this is just a popular press milestone for the public

I wouldn't discount it quite this much.  Sequencing the entire human
genome is quite an accomplishment.  The genome is enormous, and
sequencing the whole thing was not an easy task at all because of the
huge amount of data involved.  Lots of new technology was developed to
do the job.  It is true that this is only a first step to understanding
it, but it is a *big* first step and well worth celebrating.  Carrying
on the comparison to Rustaveli's _The Tiger_, imagine that the only
available copy was a shredded manuscript that you had to put back
together before you could even read the poem.

--
Donald L. Nash, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, PGP Key ID: 0x689DA021
The University of Texas System Office of Telecommunication Services

------------------------------

From: Doug Kuhlman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:13:33 -0500

mike wrote:

> If you want a prime number then this formula will do:
>
> PrimeNum = 2 ^ ( SomeOtherPrimeNum ) - 1
> You can even iterate with it several times ( take the new PrimeNum and stick
> it in SomeOtherPrimeNum ).
>
> note: ^ is not XOR

Also easily shown to be false.
2^11-1=2047=23*89

Think before you post easily disprovable mathematics like this, please.

------------------------------

From: "Lucas C. Ferreira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Markov Ciphers
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:47:13 -0300

Hello,

I am looking for references on Markov Ciphers. I already have the
Eurocrypt'91 paper by Lai, Massey and Murphy but I'm looking for
something more like a textbook explanation on the subject.

Can someone help me finding that?

Thanks,
Lucas

--
Lucas C. Ferreira - Graduate Comp. Sci. Student
home page: http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~lucasf

------------------------------

From: Simon Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:48:52 -0700

Book!!!!!!!!!!

That's some commitment, Good Luck...

From: jungle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yardley: Codebreaking or Torture
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:03:40 -0400

thanks ...
I did grow up from reading comics books ...

------------------------------

From: Sylvain Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dynamical Cryptography algorithm
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:03:45 GMT

> What type of cryptographic algorithm?  A hash, prng, pk
> algorithms, symmetric algorithms, signatures, fair coin toss???

symmetric algorithm

> >It is free and open source.
>
> That is good.

as long as this is the only good thing you said in this post I have to
thank you ;o)

> >Private key algorithm
> >Dynamical cryptography algorithm
>
> Dynamical is not even a word so this phrase is meaningless.

ok, dynamic
English is not my mother tongue.

> >Multiplateform application(Unix, Windows
> >NT/9x/2000)
>
> The algorithm really should be independant of the platform.

it is.
Beeing multiplateform doesn't mean it won't work the same way on
different hardware architecture.

> > Specifities:
> >Infinite key length, default : 128 bits
>
> Please tell me how you use a key with a length of infinity?

please do not try to play on the words :O)
I hope you understood what I meant. The algorithm can handle keylength
as big as your harddisk is,
or as big as the biggest file allowed on your OS.

> >Bilateral bits swapping with variable windows.
>
> Meaningless without a specified geometry bilateral could mean
> anything.

indeed, it's why it is important to read the technical documentation.
There are about 50 pages, I was not going to post it here.
I know this may sound "meaningless" but the aim of my post was to
make people curious who would then go to http://www.bcrypt.com
to read the doc/download BUGS.

> >Addition of a random number to the key
>
> How are these random numbers supplied at the receiving end?

This random number is the weak point of the algorithm.
Why ?
because I am using the standard C random function.
Therefore it would depend of your OS and the way it generates random
number. I think the latest linux version has improved the random
generation.
THe reason why I haven't implemented a better random function is
because I didn't find one which was: free, open source, good for
cryptogaphy.
I nearly implemented this BlumBlumShub algorithm but it seems there are
some problems with the US export laws.
I prefered to use a standard random generator than implemented an even
weaker one !
ANYWAY, it is really easy to change, when someone will give me a good
random generator I'll use it and it won't affect the compatibility of
my cryptography library.

> >5 differents crypt's level
>
> Whoopy-doo

:O)
as I said, this was just an introduction.

> >Seed and shuffle functions
>
> What types?

mine :O)
seriously this would be too long to explain and it is already in the
technical documentation.
In few words:
- Seed:
a password generate a cipher block, this cipher block is used to crypt
a file block, this cipher block is then re-used to create another
cipher block which will then used to crypt another file block, etc
I may invent another word, but I call this: a chained seed.

-Shuffle:
2 pseudo random file block are mixed together by a pseudo random binary
operation (XOR, NOR, NAND) the results is used as a cipher block to
crypt a file block, etc
2 blocks cannot be used more than once together to produce a cipher
block. A block which as been crypted in the shuffle process cannot be
used to create a cipher block.

This is a really basic and not really good explanation... for a better
one cf tech doc.

> >A clear text can be crypted using its own data
> >2 methods of execution: direct disk access or
> >memory cache
>
> Ja this is a cryptosystem not an algorithm perse.

meaningless to me ;o)

> >Hide engine (simple algorithm)
>
> Which is?

sorry, this should not have been here...
there is indeed a way to hide some data in a file, but for this
new version I didn't want to mention it in the specifities (I'll remove
it soon).
Why ?
because you just have the option to add your data in the front or at
the end of as file.
Yes, it does the job, for example in jpg, gif, zip, exe ,etc
THIS IS NOT STEGANOGRAPHY.
I had in mind to create a proper steganography algo, but I don't have
the time. Anyway, you can use it as a simple way to hide data (but yes,
I DO agree, this is not Steganography...)

> >Login application (only with the Unix application)
> >Secure Chat (Beta version)
>
> Secure how?  What does it prevent?

Because BUGS does stream encryption, this secure chat is like a
unix "talk" except that here all the data send other the network are
crypted. It is therefore as secure as BUGS encryption is.

> >Graphical Used interface for windows
>
> Yeehaw.

:O)
The enhanced graphical version is "Yeeehaw" as It looks like a silicon
graphique application (skin, not square borders,etc)

> How about stop inventing words and terms without any meaningful
> definitions!!!

Sorry, but again English is my second language and it was just a quick
introduction not an essais....
hope I answered your questions.

Cheers,
Sylvain.

From: Sylvain Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:08:42 GMT

> Hold on!
>
> Give it a chance, someone have a go at breaking it....... ( i
> can't i don't know how )

thnaks :O)
but I really do believe in it actually !
I had 2 guys who sent me some reports about the older version (I really
do thanks them for this!) and this new version is my answer.

> Have you done analysis on your algorithm yourself?

I did during the desing process. I did a lot of test after as well.
But it's people from the internet who have tested it and gave me
unvualuable advises. 2 Analysis have been done on the previous version,
none have been done on the new one.
I have done a small one, but I don't think it is really objective. This
is why I am doing it open-source and giving it for free on the
internet..
My goal is to really understand cryptography, creating an algorithm has
the best way for me for the last 5 years.

Cheers,
Sylvain.

From: "CrakMan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:58:36 -0700

The name of the game is pattern recognition.  The Viterbie algorithm
actually is one of the methods used. Also hidden Markov models.  Sound
familiar?? We are talking speech recognition.

Then there is genetic music.  You take these sequences, convert them to
musical chords and walla...heavy metal duuude!!

The math underlying some of the computerized search routines is really
awesome.  You can while away many hours on some of the genetics web sites if
you have an interest in math and information theory.   Oh, did I mention
Shannon's paper??  Entropy!!! Damn, this stuff is like cryptography
only...different.

If you like crypto, I GA RUN TEE you will like genetics :--))

JK http://www.crak.com Password Recovery Software and proud father of a PhD
Molecular Geneticist daughter :--))

news:8jaodm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: David A Molnar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy
Subject: Re: Research Trends in Electronic Voting
Date: 28 Jun 2000 20:37:05 GMT

Probably the best thing to do would be to check Lorrie Faith Cranor's
page on electronic voting. She also maintains a mailing list devoted to
the topic whose subscription address is on that page.

A web search should turn it up (sorry).

-dmolnar

------------------------------

From: zapzing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compression and known plaintext in brute force analysis (restatements
caused by the missing info .... thread)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:49:36 GMT

> zapzing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : And another problem: suppose a random (or already encrypted)
> : file is encrypted. Then an amount of predictable
> : information will be added to a file that was previously
> : perfectly unpredicatble.
>
> Since most people agree that in practice, this is often true, a
> simple solution should be employed:
>
> *Don't* feed plaintext with statistically random characteristics
straight
> into your compressor, if you can avoid doing so.
>
> Random plaintexts are typically expanded only to a small degree
(compared
> to the extent to which a patterend file is compressed) [This can
happen
> as there are so many more "random" files than there are "patterned"
> ones].

All of this is agreed. But If you make compression a
*decision* that a *user* (luser) has to make, I think
you will run afoul of Murphy's law, in addition to
being open to accusations of producing an encryption
package that is "too complex". And if you make it
*automatic* then you also run afoul of Murphy's law
since there is then the risk that luser will run
through a bunch of data that cannot be compressed.

--
If you know about a retail source of
inexpensive DES chips, please let