At 05:46 PM 2/23/00 +1100, Ian Farquhar wrote:
>Of course, there are also ways manufacturers could try to counter
>this.  Constructing tamper-resistant cases for monitors is one
>way.  Indeed, I'll suggest to everyone here that tamper
>resistant enclosures (everything from "mousetraps" to FIPS-140
>style boxes) are going to become much more common in consumer
>electronics.

When the decryption unit is in the same package as
the video DACs, the game will be much much harder.
Its not been done yet, but it will.

>Ultimately, this will come down to being a tradeoff between
>investment and return.  Who's Intel targeting?  I'd suggest

Well, directly they're targeting folks like
http://www.opencable.com/public_docs.html
who are the actual purchasers of chips in mass
quantities.

>they're targeting casual copiers and underfunded bootleg
>operators.  Against them, this may be viable.  Against even a
>moderately well funded piracy operation, forget it.

"They have logic analyzers in hong kong"