It was reported that Clinton was keeping the export controls going by
executive order, even tho' congress had failed to re-authorize the
sunsetted legislation.  I asked my local congress-critter about it, and
here is the response.  I found it enlightening.

Now, they are checking to see whether there was any _explicit_ funding
for the export controls.  Perhaps that could be blocked, as a money-
saving initiative.

The last line might be taken as a call to action -- we need to watch.