In message <010601bf8879$2f4c1980$82d08489@muki>, "Arrianto Mukti Wibowo" write
s:
> Hi,
>
> I want to know whether there is a crypto building block which doesn't allow
> someone to open an encrypted message before a certain date.
>
> [Damn hard. Math functions don't grok "date". The only reasonable way
> to do this without a trusted third party is to pick an encryption
> algorithm that will take at least as long to decrypt (in likely
> available computer time) as are needed. -Perry]
>
> In another word, I need to know several "date/time-related" crypto papers
> around. Can somebody give me pointers?

In the future, it may be possible to base something like this on physical
principles.  For example (and if I haven't dropped a decimal point), Jupiter
is never closer than about 2079 light-seconds from Earth.  A message encrypted
with the public key of a satellite in that orbit could not be received in the
clear on Earth in less that 4158 seconds.  One could postulate a network of
such satellites at various distances -- but it would sure strain our
technology to get any reasonable delays with a single hop.

Second-best would be to use repeated decryptions -- say, a message addressed
to Pluto Equilateral (about 5.5 light hours away), encrypted with its key, and
containing a message encrypted with an Earthstation key.  That message in turn
is encrypted with Pluto Equilateral's key; iterate as needed.

                --Steve Bellovin