Carl Ellison wrote:
We see here a difference between your and my sides of the Atlantic.  Here in
the US, almost no one has a smart card.

Of those cards you carry, how many are capable of doing public key
operations?  A simple memory smartcard doesn't count for what we were
talking about.

I don't know. If you can tell me how to find out, I'd be happy to investigate. I have quite a few that are no longer needed, so destructive investigation is possible :-)

BTW, I forgot the two smartcards that are used by my Sky satellite TV stuff.

There are other problems with doing TCPA-like operations with a smartcard,
but I didn't go into those.  The biggest one to chew on is that I, the
computer owner, need verification that my software is in good shape.  My
agent in my computer (presumably the smartcard) needs a way to examine the
software state of my computer without relying on any of the software in my
computer (which might have been corrupted, if the computer's S/W has been
corrupted).  This implies to me that my agent chip needs a H/W path for
examining all the S/W of my computer.  That's something the TPM gives us
that a smartcard doesn't (when that smartcard goes through a normal device
driver to access its machine).

I'm not arguing with this - just the economic argument about number of smartcards.

Cheers,

Ben.