R. A. Hettinga wrote:
If we're going to move to a national identification card, we can't afford
to do it badly. Now is the time to figure out how to create a card that
helps identify people but doesn't rob them of a huge swath of their civil
liberties in the process.
Just watch how the british do it - then don't do it that way.
I am still trying to figure out how over a decade of terrorist bombings in mainland UK didn't justify introducing a national ID card - but the americans wanting biometric passports for visitors does.