<http://www.sitnews.us/HowardDean/060104_dean.html>

Stories in the News

Electronic Voting - Not Ready  For Prime Time
By Howard Dean

June 01, 2004, 2004
 Tuesday

 In December 2000, five Supreme Court justices concluded that  a recount in
the state of Florida's presidential election was  unwarranted. This,
despite the desire of the Florida Supreme  Court to order a statewide
recount in an election that was decided  by only 537 votes. In the face of
well-documented voting irregularities  throughout the state, the U.S.
Supreme Court's decision  created enormous cynicism about whether the votes
of every American  would actually be counted. Although we cannot change
what happened  in Florida, we have a responsibility to our democracy to
prevent  a similar situation from happening again.

 Some politicians believe a  solution to this problem can be found in
electronic voting. Recently,  the federal government passed legislation
encouraging the use  of "touch screen" voting machines even though they
fail to provide a verifiable record that can be used in a recount.
Furthermore, this equipment cannot even verify as to whether  a voter did
indeed cast a ballot for their intended candidate.  Unfortunately, this
November, as many as 28% of Americans - 50  million people - will cast
ballots using machines that could  produce such unreliable and unverifiable
results.

 Only since 2000 have touch  screen voting machines become widely used and
yet they have already  caused widespread controversy due to their
unreliability. For instance, in Wake County, N.C. in 2002, 436 votes were
lost as  a result of bad software. Hinds County, Miss. had to re-run an
election because the machines had so many problems that the will  of the
voters could not be determined. According to local election officials in
Fairfax County, Va., a recent election resulted  in one in 100 votes being
lost. Many states, such as New Hampshire  and most recently Maine, have
banned paperless touch screen voting  and many more are considering doing
so.

 Without any accountability  or transparency, even if these machines work,
we cannot check  whether they are in fact working reliably. The American
public  should not tolerate the use of paperless e-voting machines until
at least the 2006 election, allowing time to prevent ongoing  errors and
failures with the technology. One way or another,  every voter should be
able to check that an accurate paper record  has been made of their vote
before it is recorded.

 Both Democrats and Republicans  have a serious interest in fixing this
potentially enormous blow  to democracy. A bipartisan bill, sponsored by
Rep. Rush Holt  (D-N.J.), is one of several paper trail bills in the House
and  Senate and it should be passed as soon as possible. A grassroots
movement for verified voting, led by organizations like VerifiedVoting.org,
is gaining momentum nationwide.

 There is nothing partisan about  the survival of our democracy or its
legitimacy. We cannot and  must not put the success of one party or another
above the good  of our entire country and all our people. To the
governments  of the fifty states, Republican or Democrat, I ask you to put
paperless e-voting machines on the shelf until 2006 or until  they are
reliable and will allow recounts. In a democracy you always count the votes
no matter who wins. To abandon that principle  is to abandon America.

Email Howard Dean at  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Howard Dean, M.D. and former  governor of Vermont, is the founder of
Democracy  for America, a grassroots organization that supports socially
progressive and fiscally responsible political candidates.

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>