On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 10:39:18AM +0200, Amir Herzberg wrote:

> So I think this observation about EZ Pass is probably true, but for some
> time ago; with current technology, reading license plates is possible
> (which, I guess, has some alarming privacy implications...).

While Toll Collect (the german system) isn't yet operational, the license
plate realtime OCR part is. It does read license plates in realtime via video
from overhead bridges, no slowing down necessary.

The police is very interested to keep that part of the infrastructure
operational, for obvious reasons. Currently, all non-truck license plates are
discarded, but it's clear enough theres demand for realtime tracing of select
and movement profiles for the masses, for data mining.

--
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org";>leitl</a>