On May 26, 2005, at 13:24, Ed Gerck wrote:
A better solution, along the same lines, would have been for Citibank to
ask from their account holders when they login for Internet banking,
whether they would like to set up a three- or four-character combination
to be used in all emails from the bank to the account holder.

Why couldn't they just use digitally signed S/MIME email? I'm sure that works just as well as signed SSL handshakes.

Oh.  Answered my own question, didn't I?