In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>But nevertheless, I do not understand why americans are so afraid of
>an ID card. It has by far more advantages than disadvantages, and
>actually the US driving license is already a kind of ID card.

Let me refer you to a National Academies report (I was on the
committee):  Stephen T. Kent and Lynette Millett, ed. IDs -- Not That
Easy: Questions About Nationwide Identity Systems. National Academies
Press, 2002.  http://books.nap.edu/html/id_questions/  Briefly, the
report notes that there are a very large number of questions that need
to be answered about any such system before it's even possible to
discuss it intelligently.

> And
>whenever I enter the US, I have to give the fingerprints of my index
>fingers and they take a picture of me. That's worse than an ID card.

Agreed.