Matthias Bruestle wrote:

[snip]

Regarding passphrase entropy: Getting entropy into a
rememberable passphrase is a related, but completely different
problem.

Here might be a screwy way of increasing the entropy of a passphrase while still allowing it to be readable/memorization.

At Cambridge a number of years ago they were doing readability
studies and out of it came the following funny quote:

I cdnuolt  blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was
rdenaig. The phonemneal  pweor of the hmuan mnid !

Aodccrnig to rserceah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,  it dnsoe't
mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the
rghit pclae. The  rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll
raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the hmuan mnid deos
not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod  as a wlohe.

Azmanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuoht slpeling was ipmrtnoat.

Well, it sure messes with any dictionary based attack. :)

Best,

Allen