Aram Perez wrote:

Another response was "you haven't heard of anyone breaking SD cards have
you?"

I love responses like this. In the physical world there are the examples of the Kyptonite lock and the Master Combination lock. By the time you hear about the methodology of the attack someone has lost their $16000+ motorcycle or had their wallet with $1000 and identity papers stolen from their gym locker and they really were telling the truth about knowing they locked it up properly.

My counter to this sort of response is, "How many people are attacking it that you don't know about yet?"

For one I can almost (not being on staff I can't be absolutely sure) guarantee that the NSA is hard at work at cracking SD cards. Why, you might ask? Simple. What would be the easiest way for a spy to smuggle critical information out of a country? As an ostensible tourist with a camera and multiple SD cards. Even easier would be to give the camera to a real tourist as a "gift" and then steal it back when they get home.

There is a very fine balancing act between confidentiality (or secrecy, if you'd rather) and an open society with accountability. America's existence is partly as a result of people objecting to a "Star Chamber" legal system and yet the security of democracy resides on having truly secure and private elections that can not be tampered with without it becoming known. This is where cryptography can play a critical role in maintaining trust in our system of governance and protecting people who hold divergent views or beliefs from intimidation.

Best,

Allen