On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 01:08:12AM +1200, Peter Gutmann wrote:

| Given that all you need for this is a glorified pocket calculator, you could
| (in large enough quantities) probably get it made for < $10, provided you shot
| anyone who tried to introduce product-deployment DoS mechanisms like smart
| cards and EMV into the picture.  Now all we need to do is figure out how to
| get there from here.

I'd suggest starting from the deployment, training, and help desk
costs.  The technology is free, getting users to use it is not.  I
helped several banks look at this stuff in the late 90s, when cost of
a smartcard reader was order ~25, and deployment costs were estimated
at $100, and help desk at $50/user/year.

Adam