On 07/10/2007 01:59 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

It's also an open question whether network operators subject to
interception requirements can legally offer built-in E2E encryption
capabilities without backdoors.

I agree.  It's a tricky question;  see below

JI responded:

You probably meant device vendors, not network operators.

We all agree we can make a distinction between telcos and phone HW
manufacturers.  But that may not be the relevant distinction.

I know in the US, and I imagine elsewhere, telcos buy phones from
the OEMs and then retail them to customers.  That makes them, in
the eyes of the law, both telecommunication carriers *and* device
vendors, even if they are not device OEMs.

The whole
*point* of E2E security is that network operators are not involved. If
they were, it wouldn't be end-to-end!

Well, that's logical, but who said the law has to be logical?

IANAL but AFAICT the most sweeping parts of the CALEA law apply
to "telecommunication carriers" as defined in section 1001:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode47/usc_sec_47_00001001----000-.html

Customer encryption is explicitly not included by the terms of
section 1002:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode47/usc_sec_47_00001002----000-.html
"... unless the encryption was provided by the carrier and
the carrier possesses the information necessary to decrypt
the communication."

I repeat: "... unless the encryption was provided by the carrier
and the carrier possesses the information necessary to decrypt
the communication."

Following this line of thought leads to all sorts of illogical
conclusions, including:
 a) Arguably it might be OK to buy a backdoor-free crypto phone
  from the grocery store, but not OK to buy or lease it from
  the phone company.
 b) Arguably you could buy a phone from the telco with no
  crypto at all, and then take it to Orange County Choppers
  and have them install backdoor-free crypto.
 c) Arguably the OEM could have two product lines, one without
  backdoors, to be sold via telcos, and one without backdoors,
  to be sold otherwise.
 d) Arguably everybody is OK provided the telco doesn't have
  the keys.  Maybe you can use a crypto phone provided by a
  US telco if you have a high-assurance way of changing the
  keys to the back door as well as the front door.
 e) We all know the laws differ wildly from one jurisdiction
  to another ... and the laws can be changed at any time.

The cost of the second product line (item b) might not be too
much higher than the first product line (item a), since it
could be considered a /byproduct/, such that all the big
development costs are attributed to line (a) ... assuming
there is a market for crypto phones of any kind.

As to whether any such market will develop in the near future
is another interesting question.  The fact that only a tiny
fraction of present-day email is E2E encrypted is not an
encouraging sign.  (Email is easier to encrypt than voice.)