On Apr 28, 2008, at 12:58 PM, John Denker wrote:
Of course we should insist on an open-source boot ROM code:
The boot ROM should check the pgp signature of each PCI card's
BIOS code before letting it get control.  And then it should
check the pgp signature of the operating system before booting
it.  I don't know of any machine that actually does this

The OLPC XO-1 laptop has an open-source bootloader (Open Firmware) which checks the operating system signature before passing control to it.

--
Ivan Krstić <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | http://radian.org