On Thu, 8 May 2008, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
| Quoting:
|
|    It was one of the most iconic and heart-stopping movie images of
|    2003: the Columbia Space Shuttle ignited, burning and crashing to
|    earth in fragments.
|
|    Now, amazingly, data from a hard drive recovered from the fragments
|    has been used to complete a physics experiment - CXV-2 - that took
|    place on the doomed Shuttle mission.
|
| http://blocksandfiles.com/article/5056
|
| Now, this article isn't written from a security perspective, but I
| think the implications are pretty obvious: quite a bit can happen to a
| hard drive before the data is no longer readable.
On the other hand ... from a report in Computerworld, we have:

        [Jon] Edwards [a senior clean room engineer at Kroll
        Ontrack, which did the recovery work] said the
        circuit board on the bottom of the drive was "burned
        almost beyond recognition" and that all of its
        components had fallen off. Every piece of plastic on
        the model ST9385AG hard drive melted, he noted, and
        all the electronic chips inside had burned and come
        loose.

        Edwards said the Seagate hard drive -- which was
        about eight years old in 2003 -- featured much
        greater fault tolerance and durability than current
        hard drives of similar capacity.

        Two other hard drives aboard the Columbia were so
        severely damaged that it was impossible to extract
        any usable data, he added.

                                                        -- Jerry