Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote about various flavors of certificateless public key operation in various standards, notably in the financial industry.

Thanks for reporting those.

No doubt that certificateless public key operation is neither new nor absence from today's scene.

The document I published on my web site today is focused on fielding certificateless public operations with the TLS protocol which does not support client public keys without certificates - hence the meaningless security certificate. Nothing fancy in this technique, just a small contribution with the hope to facilitate the use of client-side PKC.

- Thierry Moreau